When Life Hands You Lemons

A place for micro-updates that are technical in nature.
jellyplz
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:17 am

So, do you want the bad news or the good news first?

I can sense tensions are high on the server right now. We just opened applications back up and we have newbies coming on, which is typically an exciting and (slightly) tense time for us. We don't know what newbies we get. Will they fit in? Will they follow the rules? Will they rub everyone the wrong way and pull a CrashTrigger and climb up on the train roof instead of take the tour? Well, only time will tell. But, on top of all these concerns, we're having much bigger issues. -- Our host, who was once prompt and reliable, has turned into a giant butt.

Hosts can be tricky mistresses. Minxes, set out by the Grecian gods to fool us into a false sense of security then BAM take away everything we love and hold dear. That's why me and Pointyy have been doing financial and programming planning to switch to a dedicated server when the time was nigh, which... to our credit we planned for "early January" three months ago. However, we didn't specific how early, but it seems like fate has governed that for us. I'm rambling because I don't want to tell you the bad news.

Here's the bad news: we've lost our balances and shopkeepers, again. Our heads plugin works in that we have the heads we have. But, for whatever reason the heads search function isn't working. Which means replacing the shopkeepers with heads is impossible. So, that's all the horrible things.

Sweet baby McCluckers why in the world has this happened!? Short explanation is we have a shared server (typical minecraft server plan). Our host has a bunch of servers that are eating up disk space. When disk space is gone, the server starts deleting our files one by one. That's why we get missing data and corrupted chunks. This is -not- our fault. We've trimmed out server down to the -bare- minimum to find a work around, but the host made the same issue today... hence, this post.

Here is our plan.

* We have contacted the host who now assures us the issue is resolved and are working on a long term solution
* We will be running the server as it has been running sans some of the affected plugins
* We are working hard on getting our server on a Dedicated Server (not owned by our current host company) latest ETA is Tuesday
* We will not have new players, shopkeeper plugins, or heads available for purchase until the Dedicated Server is running
* Players will be, once again, rolled back to their Dec. 15th balance with one major exception: everyone has been given $10,000.
* The Dedicated Server means changes late January (mob head drops, shopkeepers back, small map expansion, better ping for overseas people)
* We will be offering a lot of ways to earn back the money (subway donation rewards and weekly trades)

We hope that you see by our efforts that we are dedicated to this community. We are putting in long hours to troubleshoot and handle everything we can. It's just me and Pointyy with the support of our helpers. We understand you have trusted us with your time and money, we don't want to let you down or lose what we have at Stonewick. We want to extend our deepest apologizes to those who are affected negatively by all this. Me and Pointyy have lost a LOT of work too and is sucks balls. It sucks SMK's balls. It sucks Phil's balls. It sucks McCluckers balls.

That being said, we also need you to realize that we're human and -this is just a game-. We can't promise further issues that are out of our control won't arise, what we can promise is we'll do our very best to fix them and we won't vanish or give up on the server. We need you to understand that this last week has been very difficult on us. We've lost both of our cars and now have to work on buying a new car this weekend, troubleshooting the server as much as we can, and trying to get our home and pigs in order in preparation for being out of town next weekend. Not to mention just day to day shit life flings at us, we're students and work full-time. I've been sick for months and life sorta sucks but is getting better for us right now. We are trying our best and that's all we can do.

For those who understand and are appreciative of the sacrifices we have made to keep this server running, we are truly appreciative. We do this all for you because you are amazing. For those who want to bitch about what -you've- lost or want make passive aggressive comments aimed toward me or the helpers, this server isn't the right place for you. We are not punching bags. Our helpers are not punching bags. And you won't find a server out there with more dedicated staff or player base. So, all we're left with is to suck it up and soldier on as best we can. And me and Pointyy will be here, soldiering on. We hope you choose to soldier on with us.

DrDaffodil and CapinBomb are the head of our bitchfest committee. If you have complaints, please PM them.
Stonewick's Resident Leslie Knope

FAQs | Support Tickets | Wiki

Zig
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:24 am

Life happens. All that counts is knowing that good people like you guys fight for the rest of us. I can't thank you enough for all the time and work you both put into this hard fought labor of love.

This isn't a setback but more a mere bump in the road to future success. Thank you for everything.

CapinBOMB
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:28 am

At this point, if you guys have any questions, please feel free to DM me in discord. I will happily talk to you about your frustrations (to a point) or any questions. Please PLEASE divert your questions to me rather than openly and publicly or to the server owners. Jelly and Pointyy spend a lot of time on our entertainment. Despite this setback, they're still working to make sure WE have fun on THEIR dime.

To help with this, once the dedicated server is up, keep a lookout for the weekly gazettes. I'm going to have some awesome trades coming up.

Thank you guys for your support. We have amazing players here and I know Jelly and Pointyy know that, too.

To Jelly and Pointyy--thanks for working this hard for this community. I'm so happy to be part of something this insanely amazing.
<3
BIGGER THAN A TOWER I AIN'T TALKIN' ABOUT EIFFEL

RxFairy
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:37 am

Zig, I have to agree with you. Life does hand you lemons, and you know what you gotta do? Give it to an unsuspecting baby. Jk...but not really.

Regardless of what is going on right now, I know that I have made friends to get me through this rough time in Stonewick. Maybe I won't be on minecraft, maybe I won't be doing any gaming. But I know one thing is that I will have made some awesome connections to people in places I would never have otherwise. And ya'll are the reason I keep coming back. To all of our Helpers, we couldn't do it without you. You truly hold Jelly and Pointyy up when they are exhausted and falling apart. To Jelly and Pointyy, you are the heart of stonewick and your love and dedication is shown daily by the way you respond to these major disasters. But guess what guys?! I'm a pro at writing emergency preparedness policies for hospitals now! (Record = 1). I am so excited that I get to go on this journey with you guys through the ups and downs. I've had my fair share of downs the past year and such, but to have a place to turn to really helps make the ride uphill.

BUT I do have a bitchfest complaint to start....WHY DON'T JELLY AND POINTYY MAKE MORE MONEY AND GET MORE LOVE! I HEREBY DECLARE A VIRTUAL HUG/SMOTHERING OF LOVE FOR JELLY AND POINTYY!!! <3

I truly love you guys and I'll support you no matter what (because to be honest, my sanity also depends on you guys)
Resident Drug Fairy and Stonewick DJ

astromonkey
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:50 am

If I can't play Minecraft with you silly bastards then I'll play Discord! No worries Jelly, keep fighting the good fight.

astromonkey
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:51 am

If I can't play Minecraft with you silly bastards then I'll play Discord! No worries Jelly, keep fighting the good fight.

Glasi13
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 am

No matter whether the server is up or down, i know i can always hop on discord and be entertained by you crazy Stonewickians.

Unfortunately we have an unreliable host at the moment, but to quote a great speech:

''We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!''

In honor of our fantastic admins Jelly & Pointyy, keep up the tremendously good work with both he server and the community!!!
"Courage is knowing what not to fear"

RxFairy
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:02 am

Glasi13 wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:57 am
No matter whether the server is up or down, i know i can always hop on discord and be entertained by you crazy Stonewickians.

Unfortunately we have an unreliable host at the moment, but to quote a great speech:

''We will not go quietly into the night! We will not vanish without a fight! We’re going to live on! We’re going to survive!''

In honor of our fantastic admins Jelly & Pointyy, keep up the tremendously good work with both he server and the community!!!
Dang..that quote. I love that movie so much. It just MOVES me.
Resident Drug Fairy and Stonewick DJ

astromonkey
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:51 pm

astromonkey wrote:
astromonkey wrote:
Doin the double post like the old man that I am. :hah:

huntergedon
Reactions:

Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:40 pm

Just reading this now, as a previous dedicated server owner (Looooong ago) all I want to say is if you can, don't try to ask a million questions, this takes away from the time that they have to work on the technical bits. I know without looking, the staff here are working really hard to get things under control. Jelly and pointy are working harder than ever to allow us to have a play to congregate together on minecraft. Having a 24/7 server running is really stressful, more stressful if its in your own home, (dunno if thats what the plan is) there will be quirks and it will take time to work them all out. Losing some of my In-game money doesnt bother me, Losing this community would be far worse. I'm excited to hear more news about the Dedicated server, this means bigger and better things for stonewick, but the current machine owner is being an asshat as I understand. We are all in this together :)
I hope and pray things will get better soon. I know they will, eventually.