Class project

Any Minecraft related posts, questions, comments, or funny stuff.
Thrillshire
Reactions:

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:53 pm

For those who don't know, I have been helping our tech teacher at my school with her Minecraft Education Edition project. I teach PE, so during my lunch, I push in and help her classes out (it's how I got started playing).

Their project is to work with a partner and create a house. The houses were designed using some sort of google template (not sure what it's called). Student's had to find the perimeter and square meter (1 block = 1 meter). Students then are taking their projects and making a learning profile that will be shared with all the other classes. Next week, the school is voting on who's house is the most creative, prettiest, cleverest, etc...

Surprisingly, 99% of the students have stayed on task, working well with their partner in creating something together. Our tech teacher has access to all the student's computers and minecraft accounts so she can freeze someone, warp them, etc... if they are not doing what they should be. She let me be in charge yesterday and I now know how Jelly and Pointyy feel!

A big piece of this project has been discussing about being a positive person in an online community. Most of the kids have been really nice, complimenting each other's houses and offering constructive criticism. There's always going to be a few people who just don't get that, and will just flat out say "This house sucks!", which is where I step in and take the student outside for a couple minutes and talk. Being one of the few male teachers in the school, I am much more blunt when talking with these students.

A couple of the funnier incidents that have happened during this are:

1. Student had a dropper (or hopper?) that poured out lava when the pressure plate was stuck on. It looks really cool, until the lava started spreading and set stuff on fire. 2 boys immediately yelled "Everyone get water buckets!" and 10 kids joined in with water and put the lava out.

2. A student made a pig pen that wasn't completely closed off, with 50 pigs in it. Another student walked by the pen with a carrot on the stick and started screaming because all these pigs were chasing him around the map.

3. Just like us on Stonewick, when the server gets shut down, you can hear the kids scream across the school. Even when the tech teacher tells everyone she is shutting the server off because it's time to go, she says under her breath "here come the screams in 3, 2, 1..." and then BAM, screams.

4. A couple students came up to me to complain about another student who was going around to people's houses and destroying blocks. After finding the student's character and looking up their ID number, it turned out it was our Parapro who had no idea what she was doing.

Here's a small sample pic of one classes world they've been working on. Should be finished with this next week before winter break

https://imgur.com/a/Hmi78

DRPHILSMUSTACHE
Reactions:

Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:19 pm

This is all super awesome, Thrill! I look forward to more updates. :)
You've got a friend in me.